Subject: Re: problems with Xfree 4.0.2
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: Jaromír Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 01/15/2001 10:42:46
Laine Stump wrote:
> I've gotten everything built and installed from the xsrc/xfree/xc
> directory, and am trying to get the Xserver running. However, I
> encounter some problems:
>
> 1) When xdm is run, it runs X based on this (normal) line from
>    xdm/Xservers:
>
>     :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt05
>
>    But X complains "unrecognized option vt05. Looking in the allowable
>    options, it appears that X expects the actual name of the tty (ttyE4).

I'm running 4.0.2 too, and I'm using

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt08

> 2) If I startup X using startx, it does give me the video, and the
>    mouse works (I'm using wsmouse), but the keyboard is completely
>    dead, including the hotkeys to switch to other vt's (this may be,
>    no *probably* is, related to the first problem).

Are you sure that there is no getty running on the ttyE4 screen ?
It should either be not listed in /etc/ttys at all, or with

ttyE4   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   off secure

But it's strange the thing worked OK with 3.3.3 ...

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
@@@@  Wanna a real operating system ? Go and get NetBSD, dammit!  @@@@