Subject: Re: CVS bloat?
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Joseph Sarkes <joe@js1.jsnet>
List: current-users
Date: 01/10/2001 22:53:10
> >> Will 3.3.* even be replaced or will both X versions stay there?
> >
> >3.3.x should be replaced, BUT that will take a long time :(
> >4.x doesn't support all old hardware and maybe never will do it.
>
> can i just cd xsrc/xfree and make and make install?  i understand that
> it will stuff all over /usr/X11R6, but will everything else "just
> work" with it installed?  does it have support for wsmouse in it yet?

yes, there is wsmouse support. I forget the actual path I used to get a
good configuration, but there is a NEW configuration utility that sets
up stuff using vga16 that has wsmouse as a select option. You use the
keyboard initially to get to the mouse configureation. It is a bit
counter-intuitive to get the thing initally running, but... it did work
for me.

> i ask because it seems that 4.0.2 is my *only* hope for getting x
> working on my toshiba 7200.

I have an ati rage fury pro or somesuch in my athlon pc that runs just
fine. The weird all screens get screensaved when X does its thing has
been fixed, and for the most part I haven't seen any problems with X
in my normal useage, just built in netscrape problems that hang it
up and need a kill -9 on the netscape instance. I downloaded the X 4.0.2
from xfree but the tree I used should be the exact same. I just installed
it over the pre-existing xsrc version of X and tinkered a little bit.

If it would help, I can post or email the config file I ended up with, as
I forget exactly how I got it.

--
Joseph Sarkes		jsarkes@tiac.net