Subject: Re: wi0 encryption (with PRISM 2)
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/24/2000 09:19:19
| Has anyone gotten encryption to work with the -current wi0 driver on
| a Prism 2 card?  I've got the card talking to a base station (yes,
| I've temporarily given up on debugging ad-hoc mode...), but if I
| tell the station to use an encryption key, it stops working.  I'm
| pretty sure the encryption works on the base station, because my Mac
| can only connect to it if I give the right "password".
|
| Yes, I'm putting the leading 0x on the key (which is not mostly printable
| characters).  "wiconfig wi0" shows the key correctly.

The Airport and the Apple software use an unspecified
string-to-key function to produce the key from the string you give it.
But the "password" is not the actual key. Try configuring the
access point using the java Airport configurator, or specify the
key in hex on your macintosh by using a leading $.

It would be good to describe the status of your card's LEDs
when you enable and disable encryption, as well as giving the output
of 'wiconfig'. Statements like 'stops working' are sufficiently
hard to interpret that they require more work than if you provided
the hard data...

Merry xmas eve.

--jhawk