Subject: Re: building for multiple archs from a read-only tree
To: Rob Healey <rhealey@norstar.com>
From: Jaromír Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 12/22/2000 08:33:34
Rob Healey wrote:
> 	My old meathod of building 3 archs at the same time was to NFS
> 	export the source tree read-only and then use union mounts on
> 	the 3 different archs to build all 3 at the same time from the same
> 	source tree without nasty things like following bad symlinks happening.

You can also use read-write tree and set OBJMACHINE=yes in /etc/mk.conf
(works OK for me, though I only cross-compile kernels so far).

> 	So, is there some way to convince the make process to put ALL files
> 	somewhere else WITHOUT using symlinks in the source tree? ALL files
> 	includes droppings like .depend in addition to .o's, .so's, .a's and
> 	such.

I think this is what the BSDOBJDIR stuff is for. I did not used it yet
tho, so I can't tell you what the exact steps are. Chances are there
is description on NetBSD FAQ.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/