Subject: Re: identd...
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/13/2000 13:56:38
On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 05:17:38PM -0500, Andrew Brown wrote:
> >Maybe strong crypto (depending on how you define it) is not necessary to
> >do this from a strict technical point of view, but in the real world
> >using an encrypted reply makes a great deal more sense all around.
>
> it makes only slightly more sense than saying "six" each time your
> ident server is queried.

I don't know about 'great deal' - but I do see value in it being an
optional way to run your identd.

> it only suffices to say that there is a nice (not "good") way to use
> encryption to do ident service.  his four points can be addressed as
> follows:
[Good summary of how both methods solve the listed problems - omitted]

> >algorithm, but it didn't, so now I've re-integrated the support again,
> >but this time with at least 64-bit DES (if not even something better).

> there's still no use for it.

I think it comes down to this - who should have the responsibility for
maintaining the information?

If MY identd hands you a token which is all the information I will need
back from you if you file a complaint, then I'm no longer responsible
for maintaining my logs such that I can keep or throw them away without
regard to this particular use of them.

if MY identd hands you a timestamp, I'm now required to keep those logs
for a(n unknown) period of time.

> it's only use now is to give an opaque token to the remote admin that
> they can later hand back to you if they need some sort of information.
> if your logs have expired, then you can say "sorry...you took too long
> to ask me about that."  it will be their loss, and they will be no
> worse off than if you hadn't been running one in the first place.
>
> i have yet to see a court case that *established* a statute of
> limitations that implied a time period over which a system admin is
> expected to archive his logs, so i don't expect the "law" can
> reasonably find themselves put off by your inability to provide logs.
> i keep mine only as long as they are interesting to me.  i have a
> friend who reads (and deletes) his logs regularly.

The encrypted reply option would seem to solve the problem more completely.
(Except for regions with prohibition.)

(About an Amiga rendering landscapes) It's not thinking, it's being artistic!
					      - Jamie Woods