Subject: Re: SUP/FTP tree of NetBSD-current/-release will switch on Dec 15
To: None <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/13/2000 13:33:02
On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 03:44:26PM -0500, jchacon@genuity.net wrote:
> Plus, why would release indicate 1.5.1alpha? That isn't released and isn't
> the current release yet.
>
> -release would imply to me to be a copy of the last official release, not
> the next in progress, possibly buggier working release candidate.

Since minor version releases are patch releases - there should never be bugs
introduced, because only bug fixes should be pulled up.
(And possibly driver additions, which should never break existing code, just
add new 'possibly-nonfunctional' code.)

Any such pull-ups on 1.5 are what will become 1.5.1 someday anyway - since
major changes -> on -current, will become 1.6

So, supping -release is a way to automatically get security patches and
bug fixes.

(And no, I didn't understand that until Hubert explained it to me a year
and a bit ago ;-)

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,