Subject: NMBCLUSTERS and sysctl
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@nomadiclab.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/13/2000 11:52:22
Hi!

I was trying to install NetBSD 1.5 on a PC with four PCI network cards
(using the ex driver). I couldn't install without moving the disk to
another PC because I got the famous "mclpool limit reached; increase
NMBCLUSTERS" message even when trying to install from CD-ROM. The
installation worked fine so I moved the disk back to the router PC.
That was a BIG mistake!

The system doesn't come up, it hangs when trying to go to the multi-user
mode. On console I see again the "mclpool limit reached" message.

"Ok, so boot into single-user mode and use sysctl to increase the
nmbclusters and recompile the kernel" I thought. This is what I get:

    # sysctl kern.mbuf.nmbclusters
    kern.mbuf.nmbclusters = 256
    # sysctl -w kern.mbuf.nmbclusters=1000
    sysctl: sysctl() for kern.mbuf.nmbclusters failed: Operation not permited
    # sysctl -w kern.mbuf.nmbclusters=256
    sysctl: sysctl() for kern.mbuf.nmbclusters failed: Operation not permited
    # sysctl kern.securelevel
    kern.securelevel = -1

What should I do? I don't like the idea of moving the disk back to the
installation PC...

Martti

---
Ericsson Research / NomadicLab