Subject: Re: SUP/FTP tree of NetBSD-current/-release will switch on Dec 15
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/12/2000 14:10:15
On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

: How does one get the actual released version?  I thought that if I used
: "release" that I would get 1.5 until 1.5.1 is actually released and not
: get ALPHA and BETA versions.  If I stick with "release" will I get 1.5.1
: up to release when it switches to 1.5.2_ALPHA or will it stop there?

At the current time, the only way is through source tarballs.  This was a
release administration issue that will be addressed better for 1.5.1.  (The
branch was supposed to stay silent for a few days after the release, but it
was not.)

However, there are _no_ "fixed" sup collections.  The NetBSD-release branch
will continue to progress through the "alpha" and "beta" stages even with
these silent periods.

: I mostly run -current but there are a few machines that I would like to
: upgrade only on releases.

These upgrades are usually easier just by using binaries (particularly going
to 1.5, where /etc/rc.d is brand new), but I digress.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/