Subject: Re: Recent Adaptec SCSI and RAID controllers
To: Mark Davies <mark@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/2000 17:49:03
On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 01:07:45AM +1300, Mark Davies wrote:
> Hi,
>    I'm looking to put together a smallish server running NetBSD-current and
> am just trying to clarify the support status of some possible components.
>
> Are the SCSI Ultra160 host adapters (29160, 19160) supported by the ahc driver?
>
> What about the raid cards (2100S, 3200S)?  I presume these grew out of
> Adaptec's buying DPT so does the dpt driver support them?  There is
> supposed to be a FreeBSD driver for these on the Adaptec web site but I
> couldn't find it when I looked so no clues there.
>
> On a related note, I understand the RAID cards in the low end DELL servers
> are actually adaptec cards.  Can anyone confirm this and if so (or not) the
> same questions as above apply.  Are they supported?
>
> I'm currently looking at 4 possibilities for these boxes
>
> 1) Compaq box with integrated RAID
> 2) Dell box with RAID
> 3) Generic box with PCI raid card
> 4) Generic box with external raid that looks like a big scsi disk to the
> system
>
> Any comments on pitfalls or advantages in any of these are appreciated.

You forgot one solution: use several regular SCSI controllers, and use
raidframe. I've this running on several servers now (only raid-1, however) and
I'm happy with it: performances are good and the raid has proven to be
reliable in face of hardware failure.

I'm more confident in this than a "hardware RAID" in case something goes
bad.