Subject: Re: nfs sync, slow
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: James Sharp <jsharp@psychoses.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/05/2000 15:43:15
Manuel Bouyer writes:
 > On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 09:10:08PM -0600, Tracy Di Marco White wrote:
 > >
 > > I've put together an i386 box running 1.5_ALPHA2.  It's exporting a 90GB
 > > filesystem via NFS.  It's quite quick for things we do directly on the
 > > filesystem (ffs+softdep), but if we try to do things via NFS, it's
 > > tremendously slower.  It's quicker to scp a file then copy it via NFS.
 > > The network is 100MB, and watching the hard drive lights when copying
 > > things shows that NFS copies things synchonously, while scp and other
 > > local accesses make use of the soft updates.  I'd like to speed things
 > > up, but I don't know how best to do that.  Hints, pointers, suggestions
 > > welcomed.
 >
 > What's the remote system ?

I'm running into the same problems myself.  Host machine is NetBSD/i386
1.5_BETA, ffs + async mounting (no softdeps), running on FDDI.  Client
machines are an assortment of NetBSD, Linux, and Irix.  They all
exhibit the same general slow-write performance (reads are really
fast, though).

The filesystem is on a 23gb fast/wide SCSI drive.