Subject: Re: Xircom RealPort Ethernet 10 RE-10
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@ieee.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/05/2000 08:39:17
Patrick Welche wrote:

> Sure, I have all the MII/PHY support enabled. I note that 0x105,0x10a in the
> code definitely matches up with CreditCard 10/100 not RE-10 which doesn't
> appear - can it be that there are 2 cards with the same manufacturer,product
> number? (pcmciadevs.h)

Yeah sure.  The Xircom cards are wacky.  They swap the product and
chipset revision in the CIS.  Therefore many cards identify themselves
with the same "product" number - except the cards you expect to have
the same number.

What is branded on the outside doesn't provide any details to what
is actually inside.  Xircom have a tendency to call very different
cards by the same name.  Some realport cards use xi, others use tlp.

If you can find yourself a card from another manufacturer, I
recommend you use it.

However, if you can find all the necessary details, I can have a
look at it.  PCMCIACISDEBUG and XIDEBUG are a good start.  There is
at least one PR relating to the xi driver and these wacky cards.

	-- Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@ieee.org>