Subject: Re: anoncvs problem
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 12/03/2000 20:44:59
I've heard claims on several occasions there are some less-than-robust
TCP header compression implementations out there which are confused by
rfc1323 timestamp/window scaling and wind up corrupting packets.
Anyhow, I most recently had to disable it on my laptop when using the
MediaOne remote dialup service while roaming; I'd guess whatever
terminal servers they're using just can't deal..

[Header compression is typically used over low speed point-to-point
links.. the terrestrial modem return path of your satellite service
likely being one of them -- when you've got asymmetric bandwidth, one
constraint on your effective inbound tcp bandwidth is rate at which
you can send acks.. header compression winds up shrinking an ack-only
packet by a factor of ~10.. see the Van Jacobsen header compression
papers for details].

						- Bill