Subject: Re: interactive performance problems
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/02/2000 11:50:13
> what's probably happening for you is that all of the cached pages for
> the emacs executable are being reused in favor of the files you're
> copying.

Emacs is probably a special case.  Most of the emacs pages (in any
emacs older than a few minute) are going to be data.  I'm not sure the
text-space-only hacks are going to change things much one way or the
other.

$ size /usr/pkg/bin/emacs
text    data    bss     dec     hex     filename
952497  2143768 0       3096265 2f3ec9  /usr/pkg/bin/emacs

$ ps -alxgww
  UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI  NI    VSZ   RSS WCHAN    STAT TT     TIME COMMAND
  100 18551     1   0   2   0  32448 34120 select   I    ??  6:17.65 emacs

In emacs starts out with 1MB text 2MB data and grows the data from
there (34MB in my case).

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>