Subject: Re: mt -f /dev/nrst0 [anything] -> ENODEV
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/30/2000 19:07:55
On Thursday, 30 November 2000 at  0:08:06 -0800, Greywolf wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I have just decided to replace my EXB-8200 with an EXB-4200c (given to me
> by a friend).  I'm having some problems, one in particular, which are
> driving me nuts.
>
> First and foremost, any command given to mt -f /dev/nrst0 meets
> resistance with "Operation not supported by device".

Even with tapes in the drive, right?  In that case, I don't have an
answer.

> Secondly, I put DDS-60 tapes in (DDS1 spec), and it keeps spittin'
> 'em out, and I don't know why.  I think this might be a hw error.

It's more likely to be an incompatibility.  Are these tapes DDS coded?
Older ones aren't.  Some drives are set to reject them.

Take a cartridge and turn it upside down so that the label is facing
you.  You should see three small indentations on the bottom right,
near the screw which holds the cartridge together.  I believe at least
one of them should be deeper; if not, or if the holes are missing, you
probably have an incompatible cartridge.  You can probably change that
by setting a switch somewhere.  Exabyte have most of their manuals on
their web page, so you should be able to find which one.

Greg