Subject: Re: Video CD support in -current?
To: None <smd@ebone.net, tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/22/2000 01:05:27
| Try a different CD drive--typically, the older the better (as many older
| drives existed before this copy protection did).  I don't know if the specs
| to "unlock" the data on these CD-ROM drives are public, but that would
| probably be a good thing for the next step....

Precisely the same drive under Bill Ware (NT 4.0 SP6) works just fine:
it mounts VCDs onto E: and then I can ftp the stuff elsewhere, and
things just work.

*However*, the EXACT same machine brought up with -current, without
so much as an eject or power-cycle, and I get the errors I reported.
Run shutdown -r, select to boot NT, and it just works again.  Imagine!

I gather, from reading the MTV page, that Linux and others can handle
Video CD stuff.  Maybe I should try a floppy image of one of those other
POSIX-like systems?

	Sean.