Subject: Re: Video CD support in -current?
To: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/21/2000 19:41:43
On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Sean Doran wrote:

: | Try a different CD drive--typically, the older the better (as many older
: | drives existed before this copy protection did).  I don't know if the specs
: | to "unlock" the data on these CD-ROM drives are public, but that would
: | probably be a good thing for the next step....
:
: Precisely the same drive under Bill Ware (NT 4.0 SP6) works just fine:
: it mounts VCDs onto E: and then I can ftp the stuff elsewhere, and
: things just work.

Yes, `I know.'  I pointed this out already.

There are specific CD-ROM commands that must be issued to unlock these CDs.
What they are, I do not know.  Whether these specs are public, I do not
know.  But whatever the case, we are missing code to enable reading these
CDs.

Of all my CD-ROMs, only my 2X IDE and 4X SCSI can read Video CD's without
problems on a non-Microsloth OS.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/