Subject: Re: Video CD support in -current?
To: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/21/2000 18:01:37
On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Sean Doran wrote:

:   Is there any way to get at the bits on a Video CD under -current?
: I have drives which can handle VCD stuff -- one DTRT under billware, even --
: but I can't figure out how to get to the bits in NetBSD.

: dd if=/dev/rcd0d of=foo bs=2048
: dd: /dev/rcd0d: Invalid argument

: crasse# cat avseq01.dat
: cat: avseq01.dat: Invalid argument

Welcome to "voluntary copy protection".  Some manufacturers, most notably
HP, actually pay attention to special flags that specify copy prohibition on
the data (and this is not the same as the "digital copy prohibited" flag in
the TOC).

Try a different CD drive--typically, the older the better (as many older
drives existed before this copy protection did).  I don't know if the specs
to "unlock" the data on these CD-ROM drives are public, but that would
probably be a good thing for the next step....

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/