Subject: Re: panic: lfs_nextseg: no clean segments
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Konrad Schroder <perseant@hitl.washington.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/20/2000 12:11:01
On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> There's a lfs_cleanerd change needed as well, isn't it ?

Uh.  Yes...I meant to say too, "...and the various LFS utilities can be
imported directly from -current without any changes".

The patches to lfs_cleanerd that are not on the branch, though, have only
to do with memory usage/leakage, and shouldn't exhibit this particular
problem, I think.  It is possible (even likely) that lfs_avail accounting
is messed up, or that the recorded number of clean segments is too high,
causing the cleaner not to run and running the filesystem out of actual
clean segments.

Fsck_lfs will now correct both of these, but if you've got to the point
that you have only one clean segment, you will have to
dump/newfs_lfs/restore the filesystem, since we don't have a cleaner that
can work on an unmounted fs.  If you have more than one clean segment,
mounting with "-o-n" and then manually running the cleaner with

	/usr/libexec/lfs_cleanerd -n 1 /filesystem

for a while while the filesystem is idle may be helpful.

Konrad Schroder          http://www.hitl.washington.edu/people/perseant/
Information Tech & Services   Box 352142 -or- 215 Fluke Hall, Mason Road
Human Interface Technology Lab                  University of Washington
Voice: 206.616.1478   FAX: 206.543.5380          Seattle, WA, 98195, USA