Subject: Re: rc.d out of order?
To: None <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Tracy J. Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/19/2000 20:33:30
}I've just updated two of my systems to 1.5K (-current yesterday) and
}something in rc is not working right.
}
}Basically, it seems that /var/run is being cleaned out long after most
}of the things that write their pid files there have been started.  The
}net result is that /var/run is nearly empty.  I have only 3 pid files
}(for cron, inetd, and sshd), and no dev.db!
}
}Among other things that probably don't work, ``ps'' keeps barking about
}the missing dev.db while hourly I get a mail message from newsyslog that
}it couldn't find the /var/run/syslogd.pid file.
}
}This is on both i386 and alpha platforms...  I don't remember seeing
}anything similar come through on the list......

Do you have an /etc/rc.d/systemfs (I believe that was the name).  It
has gone away.  I saw that problem, I tend to wipe out /etc/rc.d/*
and reinstall them, although you can just diff the directories.

Tracy J. Di Marco White
Project Vincent Systems Manager
gendalia@iastate.edu