Subject: Re: VME bus kernel support, and M68K kernels
To: Gregg C Levine <hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/18/2000 14:21:53
On Sat, 18 Nov 2000, Gregg C Levine wrote:

> Hello from Gregg C Levine normally with Jedi Knight Computers
> Would somebody kindly correct me on this if I am wrong. For the majority of 68K
> based VMEbus based systems the big difference between the M68K kernel, and the
> one for the VMEbus based devices, is that support for that bus has been
> installed.

There is no "M68K" kernel. The vme68k, mac68k, amiga &c ports are all
seperate architectures. The m68k pseudo- "port" is just the body of
code that's shared between the actual, particular m68k ports.

You asked about the kernel, but as a point of fact, _binaries_
compiled on one m68k port will run on another m68k port, with few
exceptions (that being kernel grovelers and daemons for particular
hardware). In fact, many of the binary sets and all binary packages
for different m68k ports are identical. (They're symlinks.)

--

Frederick