Subject: rumba causes processes to hang stuck in disk
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Byers <Rick@BigScaryChildren.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/16/2000 21:40:23
Hi,
On two seperate machines (i386) I have seen that upgrading from 1.4ish to
1.5 (currently 1.5_BETA) caused rumba to stop working.  (for those that
don't know, rumba is a SMB/NFS translator that allows mounting resources
shared by Windows machines).  I can mount resources fine and even navigate
the directories.  However attempting to read the contents of a file
(usually a large file) causes the process to hang.  The rumba process can
be killed (with SIGKILL) but the directory cannot be unmounted.  Any
attempt to access the directory (including unmounting) causes the process
to get hung (ps indicates its stuck in disk).  No amount of kill or kill -9
will get rid of the processes.

If I attempt to reboot the machine it also hangs.  A ps from the kernel
debugger shows the processes (umount, more etc..) with WAIT="nfsrcvl" and
reboot with WAIT="vinvalb".  I have to do a reboot from ddb to finally
force a reboot.  I'm guessing there is some sort of NFS bug in NetBSD that
is being triggered by rumba (I don't see how a userland process like rumba
can cause this amount of disruption alone).

Any idea whats going on?  Has anyone else seen this?  Any suggestions on
how to recover the machine other than reboot it?  This is completely
reproducable so please let me know if there is anything more I can do to
provide some details.

This occurs on two NetBSD/i386 1.5_BETA boxes with rumba-0.6 from pkgsrc.
rumba used to work fine under NetBSD-1.4.2.

Thanks,
	Rick