Subject: Where should source go?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/16/2000 12:53:38
When I did a "cvs checkout -P gnusrc" under /usr the GNU sources were
installed to /usr/gnusrc.

I already had some (not all GNU) source under src/gnu/dists which seems to
be the same as gnusrc/dists (i.e. parts of gawk). I am unclear why I have
two copies. (I believe that /usr/src/gnu/dist should be the same as
/usr/gnusrc/gnu/dist; I don't think I should have two.)

The documentation at http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/ says
that the kernel sources go in /usr/syssrc, so I guess gnusrc went to the
right place.

I was thinking that all the NetBSD-related source should go under
/usr/src/.

My BSD/OS boxes and NetBSD's have /sys -> /usr/src/sys. I think my
kernel source should go to /usr/src/sys. Where should syssrc really go?

Also, my syssrc has its own usr.sbin/config, but the "How to build a
kernel" documentation at http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/
suggests "cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/config ; make && make install"
Should I really "cd /usr/syssrc/usr.sbin/config"?

(I think that /usr/src/usr.sbin/config should be the same as
/usr/syssrc/usr.sbin/config; I don't believe I should have two copies.)

(Now that I look at it I don't even have any config under src/usr.sbin,
just config.old and config.new which appear to be empty.)

Any suggestions, advice or pointers to appropriate documentation would be
appreciated.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/