Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/10/2000 07:39:09
On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 02:44:06AM -0800, John Nemeth wrote:

 >      Can you supply any details on it, and why it is being used instead
 > of PAM?  Any particular reason PAM isn't being used now that it has
 > become a pseudo standard (it is available in HP-UX, Linux, Solaris,
 > others???)?

PAM has the problem of requiring dynamic linking everywhere, and also
doesn't, the last time I checked, have a nice way to specify the order
of what auth methods are tried ... maybe I'm wrong on this one.

The NetBSD approach is, judging from the last discussion I participated
in regarding it, going to be an auth daemon with an API to contact it.
That auth daemon can also perform cacheing.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>