Subject: Re: Random PID's
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/06/2000 18:45:35
On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 06:34:50PM -0400, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> >  > Then someone can
> >  >
> >  > a) Have the feature
> >  > b) Know why it's not in the base system
> >  > c) Understand why it was done that way.
> >
> > ...we also certainly could put it in the base system, and make it optional.
>
> FYI, with the patch I posted, it's not enabled unless options RND_PID is
> present in the kernel config.

Yes, I saw the ifdef - which makes sense even if it was a pkgsrc patch - to allow
you to compile 'normal' kernels after applying it.

I was just thinking along the lines that Jaromir was in his reply - it's not the
'Right' solution, and it's not something NetBSD should endorse (IMO), but we can
understand why someone might think it's something they want, and make it easy
for them to add. Putting it in pkgsrc gives it a sort of 3rd party distancing
effect.

The same could have been done with i386 bounce-buffers, if pkgsrc existed back
then. (No, I'm not comparing the reasons for keeping this out of the kernel to
bb.)

We don't recommend shooting yourself in the foot, and we won't bloat the system
to make it easy to do so, but we will keep around a handy instruction sheet for
when you feel the need to ignore our recommendation ;-)

Any sufficiently advanced Common Sense will seem like magic...
					      - me