Subject: Re: Question about dhcpd error message
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@nominum.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/06/2000 15:37:34
> I don't know, but surely it should be part of the documentation,
> especially since it's enabled by default?

Unless somebody pulled up a more recent version of the DHCP software
while I was on retreat, we are unfortunately not running the very
latest stuff.   :'(   I am not sure that ddns-updates is documented in
the latest version, but I seem to recall doing it.   In any case, in
the next patchlevel I believe I am going to make doing updates
something you have to enable, rather than something you have to
disable, because I seem to be seeing a lot of complaints where people
don't grok that the server is trying to do updates, and just think
it's broken.   :'}

> While I'm whining about the documentation, why does NetBSD put the
> dhcpd-options and dhcpd-eval man pages under dhcp-options and
> dhcp-eval? These man pages apply to "dhcpd", the daemon, not "DHCP",
> the protocol.

There is a DHCP client and a DHCP server.   We don't write manual
pages for protocols (typically) so the name clash that you describe
seems relativaly unlikely to cause confusion.