Subject: PCMCIA network card troubles with BETA and BETA2
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/06/2000 13:08:06
Quick run down, I have a Compaq Armada 7792DMT (266 Mhz Pentium [not II],
64megs RAM)

I have three network cards that,according to the kernel and docs are
supposed to work with NetBSD 1.5.  I am running the netbsd.GENERIC_LAPTOP
BETA2 kernel (though BETA[1] does the same things)

Here are all of the issues I encounter:

USR Megahertz 33.6 Ethernet Modem (XJEM3336)
When I insert it I get:
cbb0: bad Vcc Request. sock_ctrl 0x0, sock_status 0x30000710
cbb0: bad Vcc Request. sock_ctrl 0x22, sock_status 0x30000710
cbb0: bad Vcc Request. sock_ctrl 0x0, sock_status 0x30000719
mhzc0: at pcmcia0 function 0: MegaHertz X-JACK Ethernet Modem
mhzc0: unable to allocate space for Ethernet portion
I have tried both booting with the card in the slot and inserting it latter.
(can't see it with ifconfig -a)

ex0- 3Com Megahertz 10/100 LAN CardBus PC Card (3CXFE575BT)
Works Great!...for a while...
I attached via nfs to one of my 1.4.2 machine's pkgsrc directory and started
building/installing stuff.
After awhile I get:
ex0: device timeout
and this it, I am dead in the water.  no manner of system halt, reboot,
fastboot or shutdown
seems to work.  Ultimatly I have to power off.

IBM Credit Card Adaptor Ethernet II P/N 42H4916
When I install the card I get:
pcmcia1: CIS checksum failed
ne0 at pcmcia1 function 0
ne0: IBM InfoMover Ethernet
ne0: Ethernet address 00:04:ac:d5:82:65
What's odd here is, in the laptop install kernel, I can use ne0 to get
files, but the netbsd.GENERIC_LAPTOP gives me a:
ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA: Device not configured
when I try to configure it!  Additionally ifconfig -a shows ne0 as a valid
device.
I have tried both booting with the card in the slot and insterting it
latter, same issues.

So are these problems worthy of pr?  Am I just missing something?

Given, I could compile a new kernel, which I'm going to try, but you would
expect cards to work
if there is support for them in a GENERIC kernel.

Let me know what I can do to help figure this out.

John Maier
Administrator
Midamerica Internet Services
573-446-8881