Subject: Re: cvs and source and documentation
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
List: current-users
Date: 11/04/2000 14:09:21
Mutt made me believe that Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Then why does it put them in /usr/src/src, such as
> /usr/src/src/bin/cat/cat.c ??
>
> Am I reading the instructions wrong? Or am I doing something wrong? Or
> are the instructions wrong? Should the instructions really say to "cd
> /usr" instead of "cd /usr/src"?

It seems the instructions are wrong. I'll fix them.

> Previously, I tried to just tried update my source -- which I now moved
> out of the way to start new. But when I did a "cvs login" I received
>  cvs login: can only use pserver method with `login' command
>  cvs [login aborted]: CVSROOT: cvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot

If the CVSROOT doesn't contain :pserver:, you don't have to
login. Just try it without (and CVS_RSH set to 'ssh').

> Also, I don't really want to track -current; but I want to keep up with
> the 1.5 sources. For example, I see several 1.5-related snapshots over the
> past few months including 1.5_ALPHA and now 1.5_BETA. (I have 1.5_BETA
> binaries and kernel installed.) But I can't find any documentation on how
> to track 1.5 (only how to track -current). Most likely this is due to my
> on-going confusion.

Just add '-rnetbsd-1-5' in the checkout command, as in
	cvs checkout -P -rnetbsd-1-5 src

I think you don't have to add `-rnetbsd-1-5' to every `cvs update'
after that, because the tag should be sticky (that is, handled
automatically), but it doesn't hurt. I'm not sure if it automatically
works correctly for files that weren't there in the initial checkout.

Hope this helps,
 Thomas

--
Thomas Klausner - wiz@danbala.tuwien.ac.at
I think...I think it's in my basement. Let me go upstairs and check.