Subject: Re: dhclient
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/21/2000 10:06:12
seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach) writes:

> I have a system (VirtualPC) where dhclient is chewing CPU time like mad.  I
> can't find a way to make it log any debugging messages.  Anyone know how much
> CPU time it should be consuming?  It looks to be pretty much busy-looping.

Finally, someone else who has the same problem!!

This has been the case on my system ("RealPC", i386) for several
months. Ted did "some stuff" to the code awhile back, but it didn't
help my situation - once it starts up, dhclient gets its lease, then
continues using 95% of CPU until I kill it.

> The "seconds until lease expires" seems to typically be somewhere in 2017 or
> so, it looks like a random number.

Are you sure it's random, or is the server giving you a very long
lease time (the lease times I get from RCN's cable service really are
in the 20 year range).