Subject: Re: Secure Shell now in mainline
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/2000 23:38:40
On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 04:29:03PM -0500, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 08:07:08AM -0700, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 03:58:01AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
> >  >      Can you tell us any more about this other implementation (i.e. how
> >  > is it different, who is working on it, URL, etc.)?
> >
> > Thor Simon is the primary developer of the new Secure Shell implementation.
> 	While I'm not saying that his contribution is insignificant, I would
> not consider Thor to be the primary developer on the ssh project.  I have
> written considerably more code and spent a bunch more time than he has.  I
> am not saying that what he has done is unimportant, or that, but Thor
> has had more of an effect as the person who got together the initial
> organization and funding for the project.  (although recently, Andrew
> brown has been more active than I)

I'd like to reemphasize this.  I am *not* currently the primary developer
of the software in question, and I think I've pretty carefully tried to
point out whenever possible that Eric (and, at this point, Andrew) "owns"
many, many more lines of code in that software than I do.  It is a project
that I concieved, found funding for, and have organized and administrated;
and certainly there's a good bit of code in there that I _did_ write.  But
Eric, well, to put it bluntly, hacks quite a bit more efficiently than I
do; and we owe Andrew a great debt of thanks for almost the entire client
implementation, quite a feat all by itself.

	the effort to perceive simply the cruel radiance of what is