Subject: Re: Secure Shell now in mainline
To: Jason R Thorpe , John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/2000 16:29:03
On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 08:07:08AM -0700, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 03:58:01AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
>  >      Can you tell us any more about this other implementation (i.e. how
>  > is it different, who is working on it, URL, etc.)?
>
> Thor Simon is the primary developer of the new Secure Shell implementation.
	While I'm not saying that his contribution is insignificant, I would
not consider Thor to be the primary developer on the ssh project.  I have
written considerably more code and spent a bunch more time than he has.  I
am not saying that what he has done is unimportant, or that, but Thor
has had more of an effect as the person who got together the initial
organization and funding for the project.  (although recently, Andrew
brown has been more active than I)

> It was originally written for an embedded realtime OS, but also works
> on Solaris and NetBSD.  It has independent reader/writer threads, for
> MUCH better performance than other Secure Shell implementations, has
> better Kerberos support, and is just written in a much cleaner way.
	and, shortly, a couple other OSes too. :)

> It is already being used inside at least one very popular commercial
> product.
	and elsewhere...

eric