Subject: Re: Secure Shell now in mainline
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/2000 08:07:08
On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 03:58:01AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:

 >      Can you summarize the changes that were made?

Made it compile cleanly (and fixed some minor bugs in the process),
misc. code cleanup, and I had added login.conf support (which then
openbsd added themselves, independently).  Some documentation fixups.

I didn't put TOO much effort into it, as I knew it was only a stopgap
measure.

 >      Can you tell us any more about this other implementation (i.e. how
 > is it different, who is working on it, URL, etc.)?

Thor Simon is the primary developer of the new Secure Shell implementation.

It was originally written for an embedded realtime OS, but also works
on Solaris and NetBSD.  It has independent reader/writer threads, for
MUCH better performance than other Secure Shell implementations, has
better Kerberos support, and is just written in a much cleaner way.

It is already being used inside at least one very popular commercial
product.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>