Subject: Re: Intel based VME boards and NetBSD for Intel
To: Gregg C Levine <hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net>
From: Steve Woodford <scw@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/18/2000 20:06:20
On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Gregg C Levine wrote:

> Here is a question that might not have occurred to any of you yet: Can NetBSD
> be installed on an Intel based VME bus board? What I would do is copy over the

All Intel-based VME boards I've seen are simply standard "PeeCee"
architectures with off the shelf VMEbus bridges hooked into either the ISA
bus or PCI bus (on newer models).

> portions of the vme68k kernel that correspond to VME services to a function
> specific kernel, after successfully booting NetBSD on the hypothetical VME bus
> board. I activated this idea, because a group of people here, and overseas,
> have successfully ported Linux over to the Intel based boards. I figured that

Porting NetBSD to them is pretty much a no-brainer; NetBSD/i386 should
just boot. Writing the glue for the VMEbus chip is a wee bit harder...

Cheers, Steve