Subject: Re: silo overflows
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Joseph Sarkes <joe@js1.jsnet>
List: current-users
Date: 10/17/2000 10:06:32
> > I just got an asus A7V motherboard and 850 MHz athlon,
> > moved my hard drive over from the P233 that was my netbsd
> > machine, and now have silo overflows.
>
> Compare the probe messages from the com ports on the old and the new
> machine. It's frightening, but sometimes boards get build with crap
> serial chips even nowadays.

I had already looked at that, com0 16550a working fifo
Personally I think that it has something to do with the heavier
disk load since there is so much more cpu to do the build with.
But still, the interrupt service routine on the ide controller
shouldn't block serial interrupts long enough to drop characters.
If there was a knob, I'd change the serial receive interrupt to
8 vice 14 and see if the overflows stopped.

--
Joseph Sarkes		jsarkes@tiac.net