Subject: Re: Off-Topic: Terminal Server
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Gary Duzan <gary@wheel.duzan.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/16/2000 16:51:28
In Message <20001016214956.A201@antioche.eu.org> ,
   Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> wrote:

=>On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 01:54:32PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
=>> I'm not a big fan of rtty myself....
=>>
=>> I've used a script to start a detached "screen" session running "cu" for
=>> each port and then from the operator's ~/.xsession I start an xterm that
=>> attches to each "screen" session.  That worked rather well and with
=>
=>The really big advantage of rtty is that it keep log files of the tty outputs
.
=>Can screen do this ?

   Yes, it can. Typically "^AH" will toggle logging for a particular
screen. "^A:logfile filename" will set the log file location, which
defaults to "screenlog.%n" in the directory where the screen session
was started.

=>Hum, I guess if you kill a screen to start another one from another place,
=>you don't have this feature :)

   You can have multiple connections to a single screen session,
or you can detach/reattach a terminal. Screen is your friend.
Really.  I can just about get work done without X if I have screen
handy. I'm always wishing for new and useful features only to find
that the latest version has them already. Try it. You'll like it.

					Gary D. Duzan