Subject: Re: lfs bootloader woes...
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.kleinbus.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/15/2000 22:58:01
Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 12:32:41PM +1100, Simon Burge wrote:
> > Rob Becker wrote:
> >
> > > Tried to install the bootloader with the command "/usr/mdec/installboot
> > > biosboot.sym /dev/rwd1a" and it told me that the filesystem needed to be
> > > FFS. Oh well. Any suggestions?
> >
> > I don't know enough about LFS, but can't files move around on an
> > LFS?
>
> Yes. All the time, even when untouched.

Hmm, not good for Rob now then.

> > This is at odds with how the i386 bootblocks work (by having the
> > location of /boot hardcoded in the bootblocks).
>
> Yes, certainly. So it can't work on i386 currently.

Is there any reason that the i386 can't have bootblocks that live in the
first 8k (well, 7.5k) of the filesystem like at least pmax and alpha
do?  I'm pretty much clueless as to the inner workings of the i386 boot
procedure.

Simon.
NetBSD Sales, Support and Service:  http://www.wasabisystems.com/