Subject: Re: pr(1) inconsistency with history...
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@cam.ac.uk>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/14/2000 14:31:16
On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, Ben Harris wrote:

# Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 21:30:35 +0100
# From: Ben Harris <bjh21@cam.ac.uk>
# To: greywolf@siteROCK.com, current-users@netbsd.org
#
# In article <Pine.NEB.4.21.0010131709340.9256-100000@glamdring.siterock.com> you write:
# >Greetings.
# >
# >I note that the man page for pr(1) states that it is compliant with
# >POSIX 1003.2.
# >
# >I note, particularly, that when I run a document thru pr, it ignores
# >form feeds (headers are not generated on form-feeds).
# >
# >Has POSIX, then, approved a broken standard?
#
# 1003.2 certainly doesn't say that pr(1) must insert a page break when it
# comes across a <form-feed> in its input.  It's possible that the standard
# even mandates that it _not_ do this, but it's a little too vague for me to
# be sure.

pr(1) used to honor form feeds as page breaks.  It was a nice way to
force page headers and new pages.  I'm a bit bothered that it's been
broken for who knows how long.  At the very least I am surprised.

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD: SIMMs Like Good Code.