Subject: Re: indent fails to build on sparc, -current
To: Secret Asian Man <cchen@nougat.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.kleinbus.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/14/2000 13:35:27
On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 01:51:05PM -0700, Secret Asian Man wrote:
> Following a recent cvs update (yesterday), indent fails to build:
>
> marzipan# make
> cc -O2  -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wno-uninitialized -Werror   -c /export/src/usr.bin/indent/io.c
> cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> /export/src/usr.bin/indent/io.c: In function `dump_line':
> /export/src/usr.bin/indent/io.c:136: warning: field width is not type int (arg 3)
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I figure it's a toolchain issue since it just built just fine on my work box, runing the 1.5 branch...

Indirectly. The compiler was changed to detect more code errors than it  used
to. This is part of the format string analysis done by Bill Sommerfeld and
continued by myself.

Now, as of yesterday, it compiled cleanly on i386. Why the compiler detects
some things on other architectures that it happily accepts on i386 is a
mystery to me.

I'll try to fix this later today. Quick guess: can you please, in line 136 of
io.c, change

e_lab -s
(int) (e_lab - s)

Please report whether this works, and also the next error
that you see on Sparc. Hm.. actually, maybe you can run a "make -k dependall"
in your src directory to a log file, and report all problems the compiler
finds on Sparc?

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis