Subject: Re: CFLAGS and lfs
To: Rob Becker <BECKER@ab.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 10/13/2000 15:43:41
In message <001013183036.20604907@ab.edu>Rob Becker writes
>Anyone know where in the source tree to set optimization flags for the
>c compiler? I would like to try and make the world with -06 if possible.

Put the line
	COPTS=-O3

(without leading whitespace) in /etc/mk.conf. Do note that the
according to the manpage, optimization greater than -O3 has no effect
on the GCC shipped with NetBSD. On some ports, -O2 gives better
results than -O3 (and is certainly better tested).

>Also, (unrelated) how is it possible to boot from an lfs filesystem? I keep
>getting file not found errors from the bootloader. Thanks in advance.

In general, yes;, though the details depend on which NetBSD port
you're asking about.  (For some ports the answer is be "no".  On some
platforms (like i386) you merely have to run "installboot" after
creating the new LFS filesystem. On yet other ports you may have to
build and install special bootblocks.
Which platform are you running on?