Subject: Re: pciide cd-r trouble
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Woodford <scw@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/08/2000 11:54:15
On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, David Brownlee wrote:

> > >       cd1 at atapibus? drive ? flags 0x0ffb
> >
> > thanks! I only had time to try out blanking a cdrw-disk after a boot,
> > and it worked right away! The kernel didn't cry about anything. This
>
> 	Coud you file a PR on this describing your machines IDE interface,
> 	CD and IDE drive setup, dmesg, error messages, and what was needed
> 	to fix it? Ideally NetBSD should not need to have the config file
> 	tweaks.. :)

It's my opinion that the GENERIC and INSTALL kernels should disable DMA
for all atapi cd(4) devices. I've had sufficient grief with misbehaving
CD-{ROM,RW} drives that I do this routinely here.

A flags value of 0x0ff0 should be sufficient to make just about every
atapi cd drive on the planet work "Out the Box".

Cheers, Steve