Subject: Re: generating /etc/rc.conf from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/07/2000 11:41:26
On Sat, Oct 07, 2000 at 01:34:08AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

 > I got bored while updating my 1.5 machine tonight, and wrote a little
 > script that helps in generating /etc/rc.conf from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
 > (and already existing defaults in /etc/rc.conf). Right now it does not
 > handle ifconfig_* right, and writes it's output to /tmp/rc.conf.new.
 >
 > If someone wants to play with it or continue working on it:
 >
 > -> http://www.feyrer.de/Misc/rc_conf

What is the point of this?  rc.conf is supposed to source in the
defaults first, that way when you upgrade your system, you get sane
defaults for new rc.d scripts that appear, without having to manually
edit your configs.

In light of this, "make install" when doing a build should install new
rc scripts and /etc/defaults/* defaults.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>