Subject: Re: odd pppd problem (1.4.1)
To: Jesse Off <joff@gci-net.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/07/2000 09:55:33
On Sat, 7 Oct 2000, Jesse Off wrote:

> I too have seen this problem and can verify it does still exist in
> 1.4.3.  Until
>
> "John F. Woods" wrote:
> >
> > After pppd has run for a while, it sometimes declares an LCP ECHO link
> > failure ("Serial link appears to be disconnected.") and hangs up and
> > redials (I have a 24x7 modem link).  About 30 seconds later, it
> > declares the link dead AGAIN ("Serial link appears to be
> > disconnected.") and hangs up and redials AGAIN, over and over again
> > until I kill the pppd daemon and re-start it.  I have the LCP echo
> > frequency set to 30 seconds with a failure count of 6 -- so 30 seconds
> > should not be enough time to discover a failed link.

It must be limited to the lcp echo case. I use the "idle" option with
demand dailing, and the daemon stays up as long as the rest of the
system (about 10 days since I upgraded to 1.4.3, and counting). "pppd"
even plays nice with "mgetty". I have a cron job do "ifconfig ppp0
down" on the machine at work, so it won't dial while I'm at home.

Frederick