Subject: Re: X11 forwarding not working with in-tree sshd
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@ieee.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/05/2000 15:58:14
John Hawkinson wrote:

> | The in-tree SSH uses /etc/ssh.conf and /etc/sshd.conf.
>
> When this first came up, it struck me as a terrible idea,
> as it would engender a lot of confusion for a very small benefit
> (namespace friendliness). I actually thought it had been reverted,
> but I must have been fantasizing ;-)
>
> Are there any good arguments in favor of keeping this? It seems
> to me that reverting it would be a much wiser course.

I don't like the original naming convention for the ssh files.
/etc/ssh.conf and /etc/sshd.conf are a step in the right direction.
A key database where you could share ssh host keys with ipsec would
be good too.  At least you wouldn't have a separate key file for each
algorithm...

	-- Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@ieee.org>