Subject: Re: LFS partition limitations
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Tracy J. Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/2000 13:51:04
}>My husband thought it would be better.  He's started using one of the
}>Linux journaling filesystems on his laptop, and his reasoning was such
}>that given the testing he's doing, he ends up power cycling it semi
}>regularly, he figured that the journaling file system would leave him
}>much less vulnerable to corruption.
}
}the line of reasoning here seems to goo something like this:
}   * Linux ext2fs  is crap
}   * On Linux, log-structured filesystems avoid the ex2fs braindamage.
}   * Thus, log-structured filesystems are a win on Linux.
}   * Therefore, log-structured filesystems will be a win on NetBSD.
}
}But since FFS with softdeps doesn't suffer from the brain-damage of
}totally-async ext2fs, the last step isn't really justified :).

Heh.  In the interest of a happy marriage, I tend to avoid calling
my husband's favored operating system and its components crap.  I
just drop things like the Wasabi System's "Why NetBSD" article in
front of him.

Tracy J. Di Marco White
Project Vincent Systems Manager
gendalia@iastate.edu