Subject: Re: LFS partition limitations
To: Tracy J. Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/2000 10:18:53
On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 04:45:42PM -0500, Tracy J. Di Marco White wrote:
> I'd hope it might be.  Just to be clear, I'm using 1.5 branch, not
> 1.5[ABCDE].  It looked like most of the changes had been pulled up to
> the branch, though.

Yes, that's why I fear the problem is still here.

> I recreated the lfs filesystem again, just in case, and mounted it again.
> It didn't crash in the first minute or so of being mounted, so I rebooted
> lyra to see what would happen.  I get dropped to single user mode because
> fsck_lfs can't deal with the filesystem:
> :~# fsck_lfs -d /dev/raid0d
> ** /dev/rraid0d
> sb0 970434535, sb1 970434535
> dev_bsize = 512
> lfs_bsize = 8192
> lfs_fsize = 1024
> lfs_frag  = 8
> INOPB(fs) = 64
> maxino=682
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> This is very repeatable.
>
> I recompiled fsck_lfs so I could use the unstripped version.
> I'm not very familiar with gdb, but I did get this:
> # gdb ./fsck_lfs fsck_lfs.core
> GNU gdb 4.17
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "i386--netbsd"...(no debugging symbols found)...
> Core was generated by `fsck_lfs'.
> #0  0x804f9e0 in bzero ()
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x804f9e0 in bzero ()
> #1  0x2aba9800 in ?? ()
> #2  0x804aeb3 in checkfilesys ()
> #3  0x804adf5 in main ()
> #4  0x80481c5 in ___start ()

Could you recompile fsck_lfs with '-g' ('make CFLAGS=-g' in fsck_lfs),
and run the resulting binary under gdb ?
(gdb ./fsck_lfs
run /dev/raid0a
)

> I assumed that since the machine was shut down cleanly, the filesystem
> was more or less ok (since nothing had been written to it yet), so I
> went ahead and mounted it.  It hasn't crashed in the last five minutes
> or so, and now I'm copying NetBSD's pkgsrc xsrc & src to see what happens.
> I'm running lfs_cleanerd in verbose debugging mode, in case there are
> things to see.

In theory, you shouldn't need to fsck an LFS filesystem, so you can put
'0 0' in the fstab for it (it's what I have on my machine).