Subject: Re: Wireless ethernet advise requested....
To: Gopi D Flaherty <gf2e+@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@nominum.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/2000 22:39:47
> Actually, the standard Lucent card it has internally has an antenna
> socket on it, and people have hooked up the ~$100 omnidirectional
> antennas from Lucent into them.

You'd have to drill a hole in it to get the cable out, but yes, that
would work.

> I'm pretty sure that the internals of the Airport base station are
> entirely out-sourced.  I believe there is or will be a PC company
> selling one (in a much blander, probably beige case).  THe device also
> uses an 80186 as a CPU.

An 80186?   Yeek!   Well, I suppose we could download new software.
If it's 80186-based, we could probably disassemble the existing base
station software and modify it, although that would probably be
frowned upon.

			       _MelloN_