Subject: Re: LFS partition limitations
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Tracy J. Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/2000 16:45:42
}On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 09:23:59AM -0500, Tracy J. Di Marco White wrote:
}> I updated my source for 1.5 to be current as of yesterday (September 30,
}> 2000) since it looked like there were some updates since the snapshot of
}> 1.5ALPHA2.  I newfs_lfs'd the disk and mounted it.  It again couldn't
}> handle the newlfs until I doubled the logical segment size from the
}> default.  The machine panic'd again, this time it wasn't the scsi
}> controller's fault, probably. :)  I suspect it was lfs_cleanerd, at a
}> guess, as I mounted the filesystem and then did nothing else to touch
}> the filesystem, and after a little while it crashed.
}>
}> lfs_writeinode: negative bytes (segment 0 short by 128)
}> panic: lfs_writeinode: negative bytes
}>
}> Only this time I didn't get a core dump.
}
}I've seen this but I though it was fixed by the last commits :(

I'd hope it might be.  Just to be clear, I'm using 1.5 branch, not
1.5[ABCDE].  It looked like most of the changes had been pulled up to
the branch, though.

I recreated the lfs filesystem again, just in case, and mounted it again.
It didn't crash in the first minute or so of being mounted, so I rebooted
lyra to see what would happen.  I get dropped to single user mode because
fsck_lfs can't deal with the filesystem:
:~# fsck_lfs -d /dev/raid0d
** /dev/rraid0d
sb0 970434535, sb1 970434535
dev_bsize = 512
lfs_bsize = 8192
lfs_fsize = 1024
lfs_frag  = 8
INOPB(fs) = 64
maxino=682
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

This is very repeatable.

I recompiled fsck_lfs so I could use the unstripped version.
I'm not very familiar with gdb, but I did get this:
# gdb ./fsck_lfs fsck_lfs.core
GNU gdb 4.17
This GDB was configured as "i386--netbsd"...(no debugging symbols found)...
Core was generated by `fsck_lfs'.
#0  0x804f9e0 in bzero ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x804f9e0 in bzero ()
#1  0x2aba9800 in ?? ()
#2  0x804aeb3 in checkfilesys ()
#3  0x804adf5 in main ()
#4  0x80481c5 in ___start ()

I assumed that since the machine was shut down cleanly, the filesystem
was more or less ok (since nothing had been written to it yet), so I
went ahead and mounted it.  It hasn't crashed in the last five minutes
or so, and now I'm copying NetBSD's pkgsrc xsrc & src to see what happens.
I'm running lfs_cleanerd in verbose debugging mode, in case there are
things to see.

Tracy J. Di Marco White
Project Vincent Systems Manager
gendalia@iastate.edu