Subject: Re: High Point HTP370 IDE Help
To: The Hursts <thehursts@home.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/2000 20:16:05
On Sat, Sep 30, 2000 at 08:30:50PM -0700, The Hursts wrote:
> Hello I am thinking of building a SMP capable machine in anticipation of the
> SMP being available in NetBSD.
>
> The motherboard I am thinking of getting is the Abit VP6
> (http://www.abit-usa.com/english/product/motherboards/vp6.htm), but I am
> concerned about the support of its IDE controller the High Point HTP370
> (http://www.highpoint-tech.com/hpt370.htm). I was wondering if some one
> could give me insight into any support issues I am going to have. I am sure
> there is no specific support for it at this time but is it supported at all?

It is supported:
pciide6 at pci1 dev 4 function 0: Triones/Highpoint HPT366/370 IDE Controller (r
ev. 0x03)
pciide6: bus-master DMA support present
pciide6: primary channel wired to native-PCI mode
pciide6: using irq 12 for native-PCI interrupt
wd4 at pciide6 channel 0 drive 0: <ST38410A>
wd4: drive supports 32-sector pio transfers, lba addressing
wd4: 8223 MB, 16383 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 16841664 sectors
wd4: 32-bit data port
wd4: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 4
wd4(pciide6:0:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 4 (using DMA data transfers)
pciide6: secondary channel wired to native-PCI mode
wd5 at pciide6 channel 1 drive 0: <ST38410A>
wd5: drive supports 32-sector pio transfers, lba addressing
wd5: 8223 MB, 16383 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 16841664 sectors
wd5: 32-bit data port
wd5: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 4
wd5(pciide6:1:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 4 (using DMA data transfers)

Note the rev 0x03: it's a 370, the 366 is rev 0x01 :)

> If any one could answer the following questions I would appreciate it:
>
> 		1. Will ATA/33 work?

yes

> 		2. Will ATA/66 work?

Yes

> 		3. Will ATA/100 work?

Not yet, but you can use ATA/100 disks in ATA/66 mode

> 		4. Will the raid work?

No. Note that this is a regular IDE controller; all the raid stuff appears in
software. So you can use RAIDframe with it, the only problem will be that
you can't boot from the raid partition (workaround: use root on raid, and
put a small boot partition on each disk with only the kernel. This way if
disk0 is dead you'll be able to boot from disk1).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>