Subject: Re: USB Nikon Coolpix 990
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/22/2000 13:49:18
On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 01:51:33AM +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

> >I'll try to get a reply from Nikon, but I suspect they will not be
> >helpful.  This camera has both a serial line download protocol and a
> >USB protocol.  The core serial-line version protocol is the same one
> >used in many digital cameras (Itojun, remember the camedia protocol?
> >This is yet another one of those cameras!)  That protocol has been
> >under NDA for over 3 years now.
> >
> >If I were to take a guess, I'd assume that they simply put the old
> >rs-232 version of the protocol over a USB pipe.
>
> 	hi, i have never tried Coolpix990 myself. if the protocol is the same,
> 	yes, if we can attach the usb device as normal serial device,
> 	camediaplay or photopc (both in pkgsrc/graphics) will work.

Do we provide a device that looks like a tty but is actually connected to
a USB pipe?

If not, are there major stumbling blocks or could this be done?  Even
perhaps just by providing a shim program that opened the USB pipe and
the master side of a pty?  I have a number of devices with embedded
environments that want to talk to their hosts by PPP over USB...