Subject: Re: 1.5_ALPHA2/i386 bootable CD image available
To: <>
From: Feico Dillema <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
List: current-users
Date: 09/19/2000 18:40:29
On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 05:26:29PM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 12:11:35PM -0400, Laine Stump wrote:
> > Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk> writes:
> >
> > Many "older" PCs cannot boot from CD; they will only boot from a
> > floppy or harddisk. If your BIOS setup doesn't have a "boot order"
> > setting that includes "CD" somewhere in one of the orders, you're
> > pretty much screwed. (BTW, you should make sure the boot order is set
> > to place "CD" at the front).
>
> Oh, but it did! (set CD / floppy / IDE-1 ) with no joy..
Just a note. Some time ago, I got bitten by a silly BIOS-option that
prevented me from booting of a CD. The boot-order included CD, but a
separate BIOS-entry called `Removable Drives' had an option BOOTABLE
set to off (for some reason it didn't regard a floppy as a removable
drive!). Just in case, you may want to check your BIOS for silly
options like that.

Feico.