Subject: Re: SCSI errors
To: None <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/11/2000 11:41:30
>Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:11:27 +0100
>From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
>
>New with this morning's kernel, during a make build:
>
> sd0(ahc0:0:0): SCB 1d - timed out in Data-out phase, SEQADDR == 0x111
> SCSIRATE == 0xf
> sd0(ahc0:0:0): BDR message in message buffer
>[...]
>ahc0: target 4 synchronous at 10.0MHz, offset = 0xf
>cd1 at scsibus0 target 4 lun 0: <HP, CD-Writer+ 9200, 1.0e> SCSI4 5/cdrom removable

I get messages like that every time I boot.  After the boot everything
seems fine and the CD writer works properly.

The interesting thing is I don't even have a device at target 0.

I think the HP 9200 must somehow get confused by the ahc driver, and
suddenly starts responding as target 0.  Since I only see this at boot
time I haven't really bothered to look into it.

My uneducated guess was that it probably had something to do with
weird boot-the-PC-off-a-CD tricks.  But it could just be a driver bug
or a firmware bug in the CR-RW drive itself.  Or perhaps both of us
have somehow managed to misconfigure our systems in just the same way.
But I did triple-check my cabling and termination, and everything
seemed fine.

Did you recently install the HP9200?  It is curious that you're just
seeing these messages for the first time.